Choking happen when your dog chew on something that is unusual, such as toys, slippers or even food like big pieces treat or bones that will cause dehydrated for your dogs.
This can cause serious injuries and need to know what your pets is doing by monitor them daily. If you want to get toys or treats for your fur balls, do check with the store assistant for advice, Toys should be safe and durable, while food should be bite size.
These are the possible signs to cause choking animal
- Gagging Action
- Drooling Excessively
- inability to swallow
- Stretching out its neck to get more air
- Sometime frantic and agitated (due to distress)
- Collapsing and losing consciousness
A choking dog may panic and bite/injure his owners. Try to make your dog calm down and if he allow you to touch, if is safe to do so, you can open his mouth and check whether you can see any object and if you can reach safely try to remove it slowly and gentle without panic or when the dog is calm.
Tips and Technique for Small dogs
- Position your dog in a standing position and kneel next to your dog.
- Position your knuckles just under his last set of ribs and use your other hand to support the knuckles.
Tips and Technique for Large dogs
- Position your dog in a standing position and stand over your pet
- Position a fist under his last set of ribs, use other hand wrapped over the fist (like hugging him from the top).
If your dog not getting any better, Stop and do a Heimlich like Maneuver.
How to do Heimlich maneuver (For large and small dogs)
This is similar to what is done in humans, make a fist under the sternum and short upwards, forced are used to forced the air out of the lungs. This may be enough to help remove the object so your fur ball can work it out with its tongue.
- Push firmly towards you and upwards towards the pet’s head quickly for 5 times.
- Check his mouth and remove any object (if it’s safe and possible to do so)
- If the pet is still choking, repeat another 5 times, if still not working, rush him down to the vet and seek for medical attention.
- At any point of time, if your dog become unconscious, start CPR and mouth to snout breathing on him while on the way to the vet.